How to list your business on Google Places and Google Maps
By: Debbie Kozlovac on October 3rd, 2017
Just starting a new business? Been in business, but just building your online presence? How do you list your business or organization on Google? Why doesn't your business appear on Google Maps? Adding or claiming your Google My Business listing is SIMPLE and FREE and CRITICAL to the success of your business.
The latest statistics show over 3.8 billion internet users worldwide. About 88% of Americans access the internet - almost 287 million people! Your business needs to be found online!
How important is your business listing? Where can your business be listed?
With so many consumers searching the internet for information about local businesses, your business listings must be accurate and complete. In addition to Google, there are hundreds of directories, apps, social sites, listing sites, review sites, navigation sites and more where your business can be listed - Yelp, Bing, Yahoo Local, Mapquest, Apple Maps, Facebook, and many more!
The more times your business is listed - accurately and completely - on the internet, the more likely it is that local consumers will find your business online!
What information should be listed?
At minimum, your business name, address, phone number, email address, business hours, and website should be included on your listing. Many sites also allow a description of your business, start date, and much more. Accurately and thoroughly completing your business profile on listing sites is important. Potential customers are searching the internet for products or services, so including that type of information in your profile is a must.
First Steps to Add or Claim your Google My Business Listing!
To add your business information to Google Maps, Search, and other Google properties, you’ll need to Create a new Business Listing or get access to an Existing Listing. Manage how your business information appears across Google, including Search and Maps, using Google My Business—for free.
Follow these steps from Google to sign up:
- Go to google.com/business and click Start now at the top right corner of the page.
- Sign in to your Google account, or create one if you don’t already use Google services.
- You’ll see a map of your country with a form at the top left. Enter your business name in the first field.
- As you type, suggestions for possible matches will appear. If you see your business, select it from the suggestions.
- Complete the rest of the fields with your business information, then click Continue.
- You may see a potential matching business suggested to you. If this is your business, click it. If it’s not your business, click Keep the information I entered.
Additional, step-by-step instructions are available from Google Support: https://support.google.com/business/answer/6300717
You are well on your way to completing your Google My Business listing! Alliance Business Technologies, Inc has the knowledge and tools to help you get your business listed and found online. Contact us for a FREE CONSULTATION today to jump start building your online presence.